Colorado Democrat Evie Hudak is backtracking after mass outrage over her remarks to rape survivor Amanda Collins yesterday.
Hudak apologized to Collins, but her motive for doing so was questioned.
“I don’t know how genuine it really was,” Collins said.
The remarks have drawn criticism.
“It was outrageous,” said Dave Kopel, a professor at the University of Denver law school and author of a law-school textbook on firearms law and policy.
Kopel said Hudak’s statement displayed the senator’s “self-righteous, ignorant bigotry.”
Revisit the facts, from the story yesterday:
According to the FBI, Americans use firearms in self defense 2.1 million times annually. Cases where firearms are used criminally amount to 579,000. Seventy percent of those cases are carried out by criminal repeat offenders. Barrett and Democrats would seek to punish those protecting themselves rather than the criminals.
There is a war on women, and it’s coming from the left to turn women into victims. Note this (bold my emphasis):
- In the vast majority of those self-defense cases, the citizen will only brandish the gun or fire a warning shot.
- In less than 8% of those self-defense cases will the citizen will even wound his attacker.
- Over 1.9 million of those self-defense cases involve handguns.
- As many as 500,000 of those self-defense cases occur away from home.
- Almost 10% of those self-defense cases are women defending themselves against sexual assault or abuse.
That Hudak is trying to sidestep her remarks shows how out-of-touch and offensive the remarks really were to the very people she claims she wants to protect.
(h/t Ben Howe)